The city of SHEFFIELD dates back to the 1st millenium AD when a settlement was created in a clearing beside the River Sheaf. Later, after the Norman Conquest, a castle was built on the site. Then a local William de Lovetot built the first church in the 12th C on land at the other end opposite this castle and the township of Sheffield became established. Over the years the church was added to and so too the town grew later becoming a world famous center for steel in the Industrial Revolution. But it was not until 1914 that the church was granted the status of a Cathedral and among the additions to the original building came the St. George’s Chapel. This chapel was set aside to honour the city’s many lives lost during various conflicts, not least those that were on board HMS Sheffield when it sank in the Falklands war. As a reminder of this connection the chapel holds the ship’s bell. For the Cathedral’s other bells they number 13 and they will be ringing out across the city for ST. GEORGE’S DAY.