Get Ringing for England on St. George’s Day April 23rd
Next Year – 2016, will be a Leap Year. April 23rd will be a Saturday.
What is the Campaign?
The idea is to get the 44,000 bell ringers to ring the 208,000 bells in the 12,000 churches ringing across the country on St. George’s Day, England’s Day, April 23rd … imagine what the 50,000,000 people in England would think of such an incredible sound.
Who will be ringing?
There will be people from all walks of life, all ages, even teenagers, who will be ringing out of every corner of the entire country. They will ring from towers that might have only one bell or some that have a stupendous 13. In small parish churches, from Priories, Abbeys, Universities, Minsters, Cathedrals and even a Castle. They will be ringing ‘methods’ from the genre Change Ringing. There will even be some exceptional bands who will try and ring a peal which is an astonishing feat of ringing non-stop for three whole hours.
And the date?
It is April 23rd. Why? Because that was when St. George was martyred, his death decreed by Diocletian for refusing to give up Christianity. He was a brave young man and very worthy of being hailed a Patron Saint. He shares this date with that of another well known Englishman – William Shakespeare. So the aim of the Campaign is to get all 44,000 ringers across the Nation to ring out and make the country proud of her Patron Saint and to make it a national celebration every year. Every community in the country has a bell tower near them and anyone can learn to ring no matter what age so if you want to get involved we would love to hear from you so please contact us at: www.ringingforengland.co.uk Even if you are not a ringer its a day for celebration, to have fun, to fly the flag, and enjoy yourselves. We wish you a Happy St. George’s Day!
Latest Ringing News
- Visiting CHICHESTER Cathedral Band | 5 June 2015
- 900 rings for 900 years at ST.GEORGE’S day in HARNHAM Wiltshire | 30 April 2015
- More happy ringers from – CONGRESBURY in Somerset | 29 April 2015
- Three generations of GEORGEs rang for ST. GEORGE! | 27 April 2015
- Another wonderful Somerset band rang – BRIDGWATER | 26 April 2015
- The Kentish village of COWDEN rang out | 26 April 2015
- DURLEIGH in Somerset rang out for ST. GEORGE | 26 April 2015
- A Happy Band of successful Somerset ringers WESTONZOYLAND | 26 April 2015
- RINGERS EVERYWHERE – WELL DONE and THANK YOU | 24 April 2015
- GREAT NEWS the Campaign is going on National Television | 23 April 2015