Get Ringing for England in 2016 on St. George’s Day April 23rd
Roll out a ‘ROLLING RING’ for 2016 and create a RECORD
Next Year – 2016, will be a Leap Year so April 23rd will be a Saturday = more ringers to ring more bells. Create a ‘ROLLING RING’ by ringing from as many towers as possible within your Branch all on April 23rd and create a record for the most number in celebration of St. George and England. For more information for Ringers, please click here »
What is the Campaign?
The idea is to get the 44,000 bell ringers to ring the 208,000 bells in the 12,000 churches ringing across the country on St. George’s Day, England’s Day, April 23rd … imagine what the 50,000,000 people in England would think of such an incredible sound.
Who will be ringing?
There will be people from all walks of life, all ages, even teenagers, who will be ringing out of every corner of the entire country. They will ring from towers that might have only one bell or some that have a stupendous 13. In small parish churches, from Priories, Abbeys, Universities, Minsters, Cathedrals and even a Castle. They will be ringing ‘methods’ from the genre Change Ringing. There will even be some exceptional bands who will try and ring a peal which is an astonishing feat of ringing non-stop for three whole hours.
And the date?
It is April 23rd. Why? Because that was when St. George was martyred, his death decreed by Diocletian for refusing to give up Christianity. He was a brave young man and very worthy of being hailed a Patron Saint. He shares this date with that of another well known Englishman – William Shakespeare. So the aim of the Campaign is to get all 44,000 ringers across the Nation to ring out and make the country proud of her Patron Saint and to make it a national celebration every year. Every community in the country has a bell tower near them and anyone can learn to ring no matter what age so if you want to get involved we would love to hear from you so please contact us. Even if you are not a ringer its a day for celebration, to have fun, to fly the flag, and enjoy yourselves. We wish you a Happy St. George’s Day!
Latest Ringing News
- ENGLISH HERITAGE supports the Campaign | 31 January 2016
- RforE meets The Churches Conservation Trust | 22 January 2016
- HAPPY CHRISTMAS to all BELL RINGERS everywhere | 22 December 2015
- The ‘ROLLING RING’ Grows – another entry | 21 December 2015
- RforE meets SIBA | 6 December 2015
- ANOTHER Branch takes up the ‘Rolling Ring’ Challenge! | 21 November 2015
- Hurrah – A Challenger for the ‘Rolling Ring’ for 2016 | 13 November 2015
- A CHALLENGE for 2016 – A ‘ROLLING RING’ | 25 October 2015
- Visit to the restored bells of St. Mary, BLETSOE Bedfordshire | 13 October 2015
- Visiting CHICHESTER Cathedral Band | 5 June 2015