|The origins of the city of GUILDFORD were based on it being a settlement that grew as a stopping point on the Pilgrims Way between Canterbury and Winchester. After the Battle of Hastings William the Conqueror recognizing its strategic importance took ownership and then built a castle of which only the tower remains. The town soon grew in importance and eventually became the capital of the County which was made a Diocese in 1927 but it was not until the present building was a cathedral built. Stag Hill was the appropriate site chosen as it was the hunting ground of former Kings and has a spectacular view over the whole county. The building is of bricks all paid for by the public who had their names inscribed on each donation. It was consecrated in 1961 and the final act in the completion was the placing of a gilded angel on top of the spire. This statue turns with the wind reflecting the sun’s rays, and as it turns so do the cathedral’s 12 bells ring out as they will to celebrate ST. GEORGE’S DAY.